Re: Feature test regression failures

From: Atira Odhner <aodhner(at)pivotal(dot)io>
To: Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Joao Pedro De Almeida Pereira <jpereira(at)pivotal(dot)io>
Subject: Re: Feature test regression failures
Date: 2017-03-21 15:50:18
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Here is a new patchset that instead hides the spinner when the acitree has
been initialized. On average, the spinner seems to disappear about 2
seconds sooner, and I haven't seen flakiness with these changes yet.

Tira & Joao

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 4:17 PM, Atira Odhner <aodhner(at)pivotal(dot)io> wrote:

> Note that this patch makes the problem of the tree not having loaded
> worse, because it only waits for js modules to load rather than arbitrarily
> waiting 900ms.
>
> On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 3:17 PM, Atira Odhner <aodhner(at)pivotal(dot)io> wrote:
>
>> Hi Ashesh,
>>
>> *Regarding your second patch:*
>>
>> It looks like your second patch addresses module loading. This is an
>> improvement over the previous hard timeout, but won’t do anything for the
>> tree issues. The module loading code can also be simplified; we’ve attached
>> a patchset that is tidier, tests the behavior, and speeds up the polling.
>>
>> Ashesh, can you explain why you are setting the text on the spinner after
>> hiding it, or why you are hiding it rather than removing it?
>>
>> *Regarding your first patch:*
>>
>> Descriptive variable names are clearer than single-letter variable names.
>> Could you clean up the first patch to use clearer variables, perhaps add
>> some tests and break it up into methods so that I can more easily
>> understand what your change does?
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Tira & George
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 8:03 AM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

>>> tests.
>>> changing

>>> while

>>> yet
>>> yet
>>> failed, if
>>> can
>>> is not

>>> module is
>>> modules are

>>> I'll leave you and Tira to figure this one out if you don't mind. My
>>> plate is kinda full at the moment.
>>>
>>> I will note though that neither blocking or potential failures are
>>> desirable.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dave Page
>>> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
>>> Twitter: @pgsnake
>>>
>>> EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com
>>> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Extract-acitree-event-handling-so-it-can-be-tested.patch application/octet-stream 9.2 KB
0002-Hide-the-spinner-once-the-acitree-is-initialized.patch application/octet-stream 2.8 KB
0003-Remove-code-that-hides-spinner-after-900ms.patch application/octet-stream 2.7 KB