Re: SlickGrid

From: Atira Odhner <aodhner(at)pivotal(dot)io>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Sarah McAlear <smcalear(at)pivotal(dot)io>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SlickGrid
Date: 2017-02-14 15:45:39
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi Dave,

> we never rely on the availability of third party sites,
> especially not commercial ones.

npm is commercial and pip is supported by a noncommercial foundation, but
npm is still open source.

If you are concerned about relying on a 3rd party commercial site, perhaps
we could use npm to install and manage dependencies but also check them in
or set up pgadmin's own npm registry.

> More importantly, we a) want to know
> we have stable code in our tree (we don't want users running with
> random versions that we may not have tested yet)

npm allows version locking, the same way we handle our python dependencies.

and b) on very rare
> occasions we may modify our copies of the code - which is always a
> last resort that is documented, and where appropriate, with a patch
> sent upstream.

We agree that there might be cases where we need to vendorize assets but
that shouldn't dictate our default approach to managing assets.

Tira, Sarah & Geroge