Re: Overhead cost of Serializable Snapshot Isolation

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Overhead cost of Serializable Snapshot Isolation
Date: 2011-10-11 20:55:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 9:37 PM, Kevin Grittner

> It would certainly be a trivial change to
> implement; the problem is convincing others that it's a good idea.

I don't want it, I just think we need it now. "You'll have to retest
your apps" just isn't a good answer and we should respect the huge
cost that causes our users.

Probably as a matter of policy all new features that effect semantics
should have some kind of compatibility or off switch, if easily
possible.