Re: Review: UNNEST (and other functions) WITH ORDINALITY

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Review: UNNEST (and other functions) WITH ORDINALITY
Date: 2013-07-24 17:40:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 1:36 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 9:38 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> If it weren't that we've been speculating for years about deprecating
>>> SRFs-in-tlists once we had LATERAL, I would personally consider this
>>> patch DOA in this form.
>
>> I guess I'd sort of assumed that the plan was to continue accepting
>> SRFs in tlists but rewrite them as lateral joins, rather than getting
>> rid of them altogether.
>
> That seems to me to be unlikely to happen, because it would be
> impossible to preserve the current (admittedly bad) semantics.
> If we're going to change the behavior at all we might as well just
> drop the feature, IMO.

Maybe. I'd be kind of sad to lose some of the simple cases that work
now, like SELECT srf(), in favor of having to write SELECT * FROM
srf(). I'd probably get over it, but I'm sure a lot of people would
be mildly annoyed at having to change their working application code.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company