Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes
Date: 2024-09-19 17:23:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Sep 19, 2024 at 1:04 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> I mentioned the SPI macros because that could lead to breakage, and
> there might be applications, as well as extensions, that use it.

Sure, this is all a judgement call. I don't think it's particularly
likely that many people are relying on those macros, though, and if
they are, they will mostly likely find out that they're gone when they
try to compile, rather than from reading the release notes. Likewise,
I feel that the new list iteration macros are both optional and minor,
so there's not really a reason to tell people about them. But opinions
will vary, and that's fine. I just mentioned my opinion since you
seemed to be asking. :-)

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com