Re: pg_waldump's inclusion of backend headers is a mess

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_waldump's inclusion of backend headers is a mess
Date: 2017-02-14 13:55:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 8:15 AM, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> wrote:
>> I believe that what was agreed was to eliminate "xlog" from
>> user-facing parts of the system, not internal details. [...]
> Ok, I get it. So xlog stays xlog if it is hidden from the user, eg file
> names and probably unexposed functions names, structures or whatever, but
> everything else has been renamed. Fine.

Yeah, generally we didn't rename source files, functions, structures,
or anything like that. It's still assumed that, if you are developing
core or extension code against PostgreSQL, you know that "xlog" means
"WAL". But hopefully users won't have to know that any more, once we
get past the inevitable migration pain caused by the changes in v10.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company