Re: Add timeline to partial WAL segments

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add timeline to partial WAL segments
Date: 2018-12-20 20:56:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 6:05 PM David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net> wrote:
> The question in my mind: is it safe to back-patch?

I cannot imagine it being a good idea to stick a behavioral change
like this into a minor release. Yeah, it lets people get out from
under this problem a lot sooner, but it potentially breaks backup
scripts even for people who were not suffering in the first place. I
don't think solving this problem for the people who have it is worth
inflicting that kind of breakage on everybody.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company