Re: fix tablespace handling in pg_combinebackup

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: fix tablespace handling in pg_combinebackup
Date: 2024-04-19 19:40:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Apr 19, 2024 at 3:31 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> That would be a reasonable answer if we deem the problem to be
> just "the buildfarm is unhappy". What I'm wondering about is
> whether the feature will be useful to end users with this
> pathname length restriction.

Possibly you're getting a little too enthusiastic about these revert
requests, because I'd say it's at least a decade too late to get rid
of pg_basebackup.

As discussed elsewhere, I do rather hope that pg_combinebackup will
eventually know how to operate on tar files as well, but right now it
doesn't.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com