Re: Add new protocol message to change GUCs for usage with future protocol-only GUCs

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Jacob Champion <jacob(dot)champion(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jacob Burroughs <jburroughs(at)instructure(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, "Andrey M(dot) Borodin" <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add new protocol message to change GUCs for usage with future protocol-only GUCs
Date: 2024-08-16 20:34:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Aug 16, 2024 at 4:03 PM Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Admittedly I'm a bit late into this discussion so I may be off base.
> Ultimately we need to negotiate the protocol. From what I can tell for libpq we are providing a function that returns a number, currently 3.
>
> The proposal is to change it to something like 30000.
>
> Ultimately this has to go over the wire so that clients that are implementing the protocol themselves can respond to the new behaviour.
>
> Wouldn't we have to send this number in the protocol negotiation ?

See the discussion of the NegotiateProtocolVersion message which has
been around for a long time but is still not supported by all clients.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/protocol.html
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/protocol-message-formats.html

No changes to the format of that message are proposed. The startup
message also contains a version number, and changes the format of that
message are also not proposed.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com