Re: Add new protocol message to change GUCs for usage with future protocol-only GUCs

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jacob Champion <jacob(dot)champion(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jacob Burroughs <jburroughs(at)instructure(dot)com>, Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, "Andrey M(dot) Borodin" <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add new protocol message to change GUCs for usage with future protocol-only GUCs
Date: 2024-08-16 18:01:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Aug 16, 2024 at 1:44 PM Jacob Champion
<jacob(dot)champion(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> https://github.com/psycopg/psycopg2/blob/658afe4cd90d3e167d7c98d22824a8d6ec895b1c/tests/test_async.py#L89
> https://github.com/infusion/PHP/blob/7ebefb6426bb4b4820a30cca5c3a10bfd757b6ea/ext/pgsql/pgsql.c#L864

IMHO these examples establish beyond doubt that the existing function
really is being used in ways that would break if we committed the
proposed patch. To be honest, I'm slightly surprised, because protocol
version 2 has been so dead for so long that I would not have
anticipated people would even bother checking for it. But these
examples show that some people do. If Jacob found these examples this
easily, there are probably a bunch of others.

It's not worth breaking existing code to avoid adding one new libpq
entrypoint. Let's just add the new function and move on.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com