Re: Table AM Interface Enhancements

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Pavel Borisov <pashkin(dot)elfe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>, Japin Li <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com>, Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nazir Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Table AM Interface Enhancements
Date: 2024-04-15 20:02:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Apr 15, 2024 at 3:47 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> That said, I don't like the state after applying
> https://postgr.es/m/CAPpHfdvuT6DnguzaV-M1UQ2whYGDojaNU%3D-%3DiHc0A7qo9HBEJw%40mail.gmail.com
> because there's too much coupling. Hence talking about needing to iterate on
> the interface in some form, earlier in the thread.

Mmph, I can't follow what the actual state of things is here. Are we
waiting for Alexander to push that patch? Is he waiting for somebody
to sign off on that patch? Do you want that patch applied, not
applied, or applied with some set of modifications?

I find the discussion of "too much coupling" too abstract. I want to
get down to specific proposals for what we should change, or not
change.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com