Re: WAL consistency check facility

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kuntal Ghosh <kuntalghosh(dot)2007(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: WAL consistency check facility
Date: 2016-11-10 16:36:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 10:02 AM, Kuntal Ghosh
<kuntalghosh(dot)2007(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> With the patch for BRIN applied, I am able to get installcheck-world
>> working with wal_consistency = all and a standby doing the consistency
>> checks behind. Adding wal_consistency = all in PostgresNode.pm, the
>> recovery tests are passing. This patch is switched as "Ready for
>> Committer". Thanks for completing this effort begun 3 years ago!
> Thanks to you for reviewing all the patches in so much detail. Amit, Robert
> and Dilip also helped me a lot in developing the feature. Thanks to them
> as well.

So, who should be credited as co-authors of this patch and in what
order, if and when it gets committed? If X started this patch and
then Kuntal did a little more work on it, I would credit it as:

X and Kuntal Ghosh

If Kuntal did major work on it, though, then I would think of
something more like:

Kuntal Ghosh, based on an earlier patch from X

If he didn't use any of the old code but just the idea, then I would
do something like this:

Kuntal Ghosh, inspired by a previous patch from X

So, who are all of the people involved in the effort to produce this
patch, and what's the right way to attribute credit?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company