Re: Add minimal C example and SQL registration example for custom table access methods.

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Phil Eaton <phil(at)eatonphil(dot)com>
Cc: fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com, Roberto Mello <roberto(dot)mello(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add minimal C example and SQL registration example for custom table access methods.
Date: 2024-05-14 18:46:01
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 3, 2024 at 1:35 PM Phil Eaton <phil(at)eatonphil(dot)com> wrote:
> Happy for feedback. Updated patch is attached.

I took a look at this patch and I don't think this is a very good
idea, for two reasons:

1. We change the table access method interface definitions not all
that infrequently, so I think this will become out of date, and fail
to get updated.

2. Writing a table access method is really hard, and if you need this
in order to be able to attempt it, you're probably shouldn't be
attmempting it.

I wouldn't mind patching the documentation to add the SQL part of
this; that seems short enough, non-obvious enough, and sufficiently
unlikely to change that I can believe it would be a worthwhile
addition. But there have been 21 commits to tableam.h in the last 6
months and most of those would have needed to update this example, and
I think it's very likely that some of them would have forgotten it.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com