Re: Weird failure with latches in curculio on v15

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <fujii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Weird failure with latches in curculio on v15
Date: 2023-02-16 09:38:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 9, 2023 at 10:53 PM Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I've been thinking about this, actually. I'm wondering if we could provide
> a list of files to the archiving callback (configurable via a variable in
> ArchiveModuleState), and then have the callback return a list of files that
> are archived. (Or maybe we just put the list of files that need archiving
> in ArchiveModuleState.) The returned list could include files that were
> sent to the callback previously. The archive module would be responsible
> for creating background worker(s) (if desired), dispatching files
> to-be-archived to its background worker(s), and gathering the list of
> archived files to return.

Hmm. So in this design, the archiver doesn't really do the archiving
any more, because the interface makes that impossible. It has to use a
separate background worker process for that, full stop.

I don't think that's a good design. It's fine if some people want to
implement it that way, but it shouldn't be forced by the interface.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com