Re: Clarifying "server starting" messaging in pg_ctl start without --wait

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Clarifying "server starting" messaging in pg_ctl start without --wait
Date: 2017-01-02 18:09:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 7:25 PM, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com> wrote:
> On 12/23/16 6:10 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>>> Is there still a use case for --no-wait in the real world?
>>
>> Sure. Most system startup scripts aren't going to want to wait.
>> If we take it out those people will go back to starting the postmaster
>> by hand.
>
> Presumably they could just background it... since it's not going to be
> long-lived it's presumably not that big a deal. Though, seems like many
> startup scripts like to make sure what they're starting is actually working.

Making --wait the default may or may not be sensible -- I'm not sure
-- but removing --no-wait is clearly a bad idea, and we shouldn't do
it. The fact that the problems created by removing it might be
solvable doesn't mean that it's a good idea to create them in the
first place.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company