040_pg_createsubscriber.pl is slow and unstable (was Re: speed up a logical replica setup)

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>, Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Shlok Kyal <shlok(dot)kyal(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fabrízio de Royes Mello <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: 040_pg_createsubscriber.pl is slow and unstable (was Re: speed up a logical replica setup)
Date: 2024-07-29 19:34:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jun 30, 2024 at 2:40 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> In hopes of moving things along as we approach the v18 branch,
> I went ahead and pushed Kuroda-san's patches (with a bit of
> further editorialization). AFAICS that allows closing out
> the concerns raised by Noah, so I've marked that open item
> done. However, I added a new open item about how the
> 040_pg_createsubscriber.pl test is slow and still unstable.

This open item is now the only open item. It seems to have been open
for a month with no response from Peter which is, from my point of
view, far from ideal. However, another thing that is not ideal is that
we've been using the same thread to discuss every issue related to
this patch for 2.5 years. The thread spans hundreds of messages and it
is by no means obvious to what extent the messages posted after this
one addressed the underlying concern. Perhaps it would have been an
idea to start new threads when we started discussing post-commit
issues, instead of just tagging onto the same one.

But that said, I see no commits in the commit history which purport to
improve performance, so I guess the performance is probably still not
what you want, though I am not clear on the details. And as far as
stability is concerned, I peered through the dense haze of
027_stream_regress-related buildfarm failures for long enough to
discover that the stability issues with 040_pg_createsubscriber aren't
fixed either, because we have these recent buildfarm reports:

https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=olingo&dt=2024-07-26%2016%3A02%3A40
https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=adder&dt=2024-07-26%2009%3A20%3A15
https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=canebrake&dt=2024-07-25%2002%3A39%3A02
https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=tamandua&dt=2024-07-22%2002%3A31%3A32

So, Peter, as the committer responsible for pg_createsubscriber, what
are we going to do about this?

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com