Re: preserving db/ts/relfilenode OIDs across pg_upgrade (was Re: storing an explicit nonce)

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Shruthi Gowda <gowdashru(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Kincaid <tomjohnkincaid(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: preserving db/ts/relfilenode OIDs across pg_upgrade (was Re: storing an explicit nonce)
Date: 2021-08-26 16:37:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 11:48 AM Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> I am find to add it if it is minor, but I want to see the calculus of
> its value vs complexity, which I have not seen spelled out.

I don't think it's going to be all that complicated, but we're going
to have to wait until we have something closer to a final patch before
we can really evaluate that. I am honestly a little puzzled about why
you think complexity is such a big issue for this patch in particular.
I feel we do probably several hundred things every release cycle that
are more complicated than this, so it doesn't seem like this is
particularly extraordinary or needs a lot of extra scrutiny. I do
think there is some risk that there are messy cases we can't handle
cleanly, but if that becomes an issue then I'll abandon the effort
until a solution can be found. I'm not trying to relentlessly drive
something through that is a bad idea on principle.

I agree with all Stephen's comments, too.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com