Re: crashes due to setting max_parallel_workers=0

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Rushabh Lathia <rushabh(dot)lathia(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: crashes due to setting max_parallel_workers=0
Date: 2017-04-01 01:22:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 11:08 PM, Tomas Vondra
<tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Maybe. It depends on how valuable it's to keep Gather and GatherMerge
> similar - having nreaders in one and not the other seems a bit weird. But
> maybe the refactoring would remove it from both nodes?

Yeah, it appears to be the case that both Gather and GatherMerge
inevitably end up with nworkers_launched == nreaders, which seems
dumb. If we're going to clean this up, I think we should make them
both match.

> Also, it does not really solve the issue that we're using 'nreaders' or
> 'nworkers_launched' to access array with one extra element.

I'm not clear that there's any fundamental solution to that problem
other than trying to clarify it through comments.

Meantime, I think it's not good to leave this crashing, so I pushed
Rushabh's v2 patch for the actual crash for now.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company