Re: Pushing down sorted joins

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pushing down sorted joins
Date: 2016-03-08 19:26:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 7:48 AM, Ashutosh Bapat
<ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> Rushabh pointed out that declarations of helper functions
> get_useful_ecs_for_relation and get_useful_pathkeys_for_relation() are part
> of FDW routines declarations rather than helper function declaration. Since
> those functions are related to this patch, the attached patch moves those
> declaration in their right place.

This patch needs to be rebased.

+ /*
+ * TODO: we should worry about EPQ path but should
that path have
+ * pathkeys? I guess, that's not really important
since it's just
+ * going to evaluate the join from whole-row
references stuffed in the
+ * corresponding EPQ slots, for which the order doesn't matter.
+ */

The pathkeys for the EPQ path don't matter. It'll only be called to
recheck one single row, and there's only one order in which you can
return one row.

- if (bms_equal(em->em_relids, rel->relids))
+ if (bms_is_subset(em->em_relids, rel->relids))

Why do we need this?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company