Re: Refactoring of compression options in pg_basebackup

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Georgios Kokolatos <gkokolatos(at)pm(dot)me>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Jeevan Ladhe <jeevan(dot)ladhe(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Refactoring of compression options in pg_basebackup
Date: 2022-01-17 14:14:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 9:54 PM Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:
> Okay. So, based on this feedback, I guess that something like the
> attached would be what we are looking for. I have maximized the
> amount of code removed with the removal of -z/-Z, but I won't fight
> hard if the consensus is to keep them, either. We could also keep
> -z/--gzip, and stick -Z to the new --compression-level with
> --compress removed.

I mean, I really don't understand the benefit of removing -z and -Z.
-z can remain a synonym for --client-compress=gzip and -Z for
--client-compress=gzip --compression-level=$N and nobody will be
harmed. Taking them out reduces backward compatibility for no gain
that I can see.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com