GSoC 2018: thrift encoding format

From: Charles Cui <charles(dot)cui1984(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Aleksander Alekseev <a(dot)alekseev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
Subject: GSoC 2018: thrift encoding format
Date: 2018-04-29 06:12:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Aleksander,

Start to study the format of thrift encoding format (binary protocol)
and found this document(
https://erikvanoosten.github.io/thrift-missing-specification/#_struct_encoding).
Having one question. Can I assume the data in thrift is always send inside
a struct? Otherwise, it needs other information to distinguish a number or
a string (for example). I think this question also valid for protobuf?

Thanks, Charles.