Re: pg_basebackup issue

From: chiru r <chirupg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
Cc: Forums postgresql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_basebackup issue
Date: 2017-04-22 14:35:37
Lists: pgsql-general

Thank you for the reply.

It is inheriting role attributes. I am able to do CREATEDB,CREATEROLE...
etc .
Even i am able to do manual start backup and stop backup also using
*backup_admin.*

But I am not able to do *pg_basebackup *using *backup_admin ** .*

postgres=# create user backup_admin password 'XXXXX';
CREATE ROLE
postgres=# create role dba_admin SUPERUSER REPLICATION;
CREATE ROLE
postgres=# grant dba_admin to backup_admin;
GRANT ROLE
postgres=# alter user backup_admin set role to dba_admin;
ALTER ROLE

postgres=# \du
List of roles
Role name | Attributes
| Member of
------------------+------------------------------------------------------------+--------------------
backup_admin |
| {dba_admin}
dba_admin | Superuser, Cannot login, Replication
| {}
postgres | Superuser, Create role, Create DB, Replication, Bypass
RLS | {}

[postgres(at)pgserver ~]$ psql -U backup_admin -p 5432 -d postgres
psql.bin (9.5.5)
Type "help" for help.

postgres=# create database demo;
CREATE DATABASE
postgres=# create user test_user;
CREATE ROLE

Is there any deference creating backup_admin user below two methods?*.*

*case A)*
postgres=# create user backup_admin password 'XXXXX';
CREATE ROLE
postgres=# create role dba_admin SUPERUSER REPLICATION;
CREATE ROLE
postgres=# grant dba_admin to backup_admin;
GRANT ROLE
postgres=# alter user backup_admin set role to dba_admin;
ALTER ROLE

pg_basebackup is * not working* if i use above syntax to create
backup_admin.

*Case B)* CREATE USER backup_admin password ' XXXXX' SUPERUSER REPLCATION;

pg_basebackup is* working *if i use above syntax to create backup_admin.

Why case A and case B functionality changes ?.
Is there any Issues/changes in pg_basebackup?

Please provide your inputs.

Thanks,
Chiru