Re: PgBackrest questions

From: chiru r <chirupg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Forums postgresql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PgBackrest questions
Date: 2018-03-15 02:54:44
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Stephen,

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 6:17 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> * chiru r (chirupg(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
> > I am testing Pgbackrest and I have few questions.
>
> Great!
>
> > 1. I used postures user to perform backups and restores with Pgbackrest
> > tool.
> > The Trust authentication in pg_hba.conf file is working without issues.
>
> Please don't use 'trust'.
>
> > If I use md5 authentication in pg_hba_conf file and postgres user
> password
> > .pgpass file, the pgbackrest backup is failing.
>
> There really shouldn't ever be a need to use md5 authentication with
> pgbackrest. Instead, I'd strongly suggest you use 'peer'. The 'peer'
> method is perfectly safe as it depends on the authentication which
> Unix provides, but it doesn't require a password or any of the
> associated complications. Note that 'trust' should *not* be used and
> I'm glad to see that you're looking for alternatives to using 'trust'.
>
> Is there any alternative method other than Peer and Trust to use with
pgbackrest tool?.

> > 2. All the restores through the backrest is going to refer the Wal
> > archive files under archive/<stanza name>/* directory, which are taken
> from
> > pgbackrest?
>
> When pgbackrest performs a restore, it will write out the recovery.conf
> file for you which includes the restore command to pull the WAL from the
> repo and stanza configured. You shouldn't need to worry about where
> those files are, specifically, coming from (and it's even possible that
> it might change in the future...). Is there a specific reason you're
> asking?
>
> I am concerned about WAL archives because, I am planning to transfer my
backups to Tape as soon as pgbackrest completes backup on disk.
The restore of backups is going to be on different server.So i am concerned
about recovery.

Ex: Always I restore my production backups on DEV environment.

And also I am planning to *remove *the Full,Diff and incremental backups on
disk as soon as it transferred to tape. Is there any issue? since I am
removing backups instead of Pg-backrest tool.

4. I observed that the *backup.info <http://backup.info>* and
*backup.info.copy* files under stanza directory. I compared both files I
did not see any difference.
What is the reason to keep two files with same contents in same
directory ?

5. The *backup.manifest *and *backup.manifest.copy* files exist under each
backup directory(full/diff/incremental). What is the reason to keep to
files in same directory?.
What is the difference of backup.manifest file under *backup.history*
directory and under each backup directory?

Thanks,
Chiranjeevi