Re: Postgres on Unix/Debian - seeking "dummies guide"

From: Damian Carey <jamianb(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fabio Pardi <f(dot)pardi(at)portavita(dot)eu>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres on Unix/Debian - seeking "dummies guide"
Date: 2018-06-11 07:41:32
Lists: pgsql-novice

Jayadevan, Andrej, Fabio

Sincere thanks to all of you for your suggestions ... I will fumble around
for the next few hours and see how I go.

It has been bizarre being competent in the Windows universe - but an utter
novice in Unix. Reduced to a complete novice.

The postgresql.conf is stock standard out of the box.
I might change ...
#listen_addresses = 'localhost'
listen_addresses = '*'

pg_hba.conf
- currently as follows, so I will change these to trust ....
local all all peer
# IPv4 local connections:
host all all 127.0.0.1/32 md5
# IPv6 local connections:
host all all ::1/128 md5

I'm just surprised that pgAdmin is connecting from "damian", but the java
app is not.

I'm sure I'l be back seeking clarification soon!

Cheers,
-Damian