Re: recommended schema diff tools?

From: Damian Carey <jamianb(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Welty, Richard" <rwelty(at)ltionline(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: recommended schema diff tools?
Date: 2012-04-13 05:15:16
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 12:57 AM, Welty, Richard <rwelty(at)ltionline(dot)com>wrote:

> **
>
> can anyone recommend an open source tool for diffing schemas?
>
> (it should go without saying that i'm looking for ddl to update production
> and QA DBs from development DBs, but i'll say it, just in case.)
>
> thanks,
> richard

Richard,

A java command line tool that we have used for years is AGPDIFF -
http://apgdiff.startnet.biz/

Usage is something like this ...
c:> java -jar apgdiff.jar --ignore-start-with pg_old.sql pg_new.sql >
diff.sql

It is PostgreSQL specific. Takes two SQL files and produces the diff.sql,
that we use as the basis of our production upgrade artifacts.

A very useful and basic tool..

HTH
-Damian