Re: Possibility to increase release frequency

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Robert Eckhardt <reckhardt(at)pivotal(dot)io>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Syed Fahar Abbas <fahar(dot)abbas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Possibility to increase release frequency
Date: 2018-04-30 15:12:14
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 4:09 PM, Robert Eckhardt <reckhardt(at)pivotal(dot)io>
wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 10:51 AM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 3:33 PM, Robert Eckhardt <reckhardt(at)pivotal(dot)io>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> All,
> >>
> >> Currently we are starting to get a fair number of users leveraging
> >> pgAdmin 4. Because of this we are finding new issues with Greenplum we
> >> didn't previously know about and we would like to get the fixes for
> >> those issues out as soon as possible.
> >>
> >> The current release process is shrouded in a bit of darkness for us so
> >> I'm not sure what this ask even entails.
> >

> > I'm actively working on a buildfarm for doing automated official releases
> > that folks other than I will have access to. Current status:
> >
> > - Jenkins host up and running
> > - Automated dependency builds of zlib, OpenSSL and PostgreSQL running on
> > Windows (just pgAdmin to go)
> > - Automated dependency builds of OpenSSL and PostgreSQL running on macOS
> > (just pgAdmin to go)
> > - Automated dependency builds of PostgreSQL running on Linux
> > - All test suites (JS linter and tests, Python PEP-8, unit/API and
> feature
> > tests), components (message catalogs, docs, Qt4 & Qt5 runtime builds) and
> > builds of pgAdmin (source, Python wheel) running on Linux and being
> tested
> > against PG 9.3 - 10 and EPAS 9.4 - 10. I have had a (singular) successful
> > feature test run, but most of the time they just time out at the moment.
> >
> > Once I have all the builds working as required for each platform, I
> intend
> > to have them run regularly, and then setup smaller, targeted builds that
> > will just produce the distribution packages on demand.
> >

> >> Ask: what can we do to accelerate the release process? Can we help
> >> automate builds or reduce the QA load or anything like that?
> >>
> >> Ideally we'd like to be releasing weekly, how can we move in that
> >> direction?
> >

> > Right now we're still relying far too much on Fahar's manual testing for
> > that to be a reality. He covers a lot of platform-specific tests on
> > different distros with every release that often pickup showstoppers.
>
> Makes perfect sense.
>

> > I think the best way forward would be to continue with the Electron work
> so
> > we can get away from using the browser in Desktop mode, and then once we
> > have a stable and consistent desktop mode, continue to work on improving
> > test coverage to minimise reliance on Fahar.
>
> Electron is the next thing to get picked up by us.
>
> Can you provide any insight into what Fahar does, one of the things
> I've discussed is actually testing the installers after they have been
> built. We didn't really have a plan for that so much so looking at
> what was currently done could help generate some ideas.

Basic sanity testing of the packages on a bunch of different platforms.
Things like ensuring it installs, can connect to a database server, that
the OpenSSL libs are the latest versions, that the helpfiles can be opened
etc.

Fahar, can you elaborate please?

--
Dave Page