Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: RM #2849 - Allow editing of data on tables with OIDs but no primary key

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Khushboo Vashi <khushboo(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: RM #2849 - Allow editing of data on tables with OIDs but no primary key
Date: 2017-11-27 11:45:57
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi

On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 1:28 PM, Khushboo Vashi <
khushboo(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please find the attached patch for RM #2849: Allow editing of data on
> tables with OIDs but no primary key.

I like that if I add a new row or rows and hit Save, the OIDs are fetched
immediately. However;

- It marks the row as read-only. We do that currently because we don't
return the key info on Save, and thus require a Refresh before any further
editing. However, if we have the OID, we can edit again immediately.

- If we can return the new OIDs on Save, can't we do the same for primary
key values? That would be consistent with OIDs, and would remove the need
to disable rows, leading to a much nicer use experience I think.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company