Re: Request for feedback: Alternate desktop runtime architecture

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Doug Easterbrook <doug(at)artsman(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Request for feedback: Alternate desktop runtime architecture
Date: 2018-01-24 09:57:23
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgadmin-support

Hi

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 6:48 PM, Doug Easterbrook <doug(at)artsman(dot)com> wrote:

> I had a look — running it on Safari/OSX/High Sierra.
>
> it started fast and seemed responsive.
>
> I couldn’t get it to start a SQL query session to put in some query to see
> how that went, bu I did click on a bunch of other things and it seemed very
> responsive.. which is what you want to know.

If you can't start a SQL query session, that's a concern - though the
changes in the runtime shouldn't actually affect that at all. What happens
if you try to open the query tool?

> I was able to put the URL into another tab and have two copies running.
> that was easy enough.
>

> Without a bunch of hoopla, I couldn’t get it to run in firefox or chrome
> to see how that might run.

Yeah, you'd have to change your default browser in the OS. I am adding an
option to allow you to specify an alternate command line to execute.

> and it seems like it needs to be started from the app — as I couldn’t
> just stick the URL into second browser.

You should be able to start it from the app, or from the Applications
folder (it should detect it's already running and just open a new window).
Sticking the URL in another window won't work - that's intentional; it's to
stop another user on your machine connecting to your instance of the app.
When the window is first opened, a security key is passed in, and that
won't happen if subsequent URLs are opened manually.

> the end goal — is use the browser.
>
> I”m not sure if that means I’ll be able to bookmark the URL and then just
> use it locally. if so… that might be nice.

At the moment the security key and use of a random port would prevent that.
It sounds like you want to run in true server mode, which would do what you
want (but add username/password login to the app to replace the port/key
based security).

> and getting a SQL session in another browser applicaiton .. that would be
> good too.

File -> Preferences -> SQL Editor -> Display -> Open in new browser tab

(ignoring the issue you noted about the query tool not working)