Re: PGAdmin4 2.1 OSX bloat

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Khushboo Vashi <khushboo(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Darren Duncan <darren(at)darrenduncan(dot)net>, pgAdmin Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PGAdmin4 2.1 OSX bloat
Date: 2018-02-22 12:06:32
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 10:10 AM, Khushboo Vashi <
khushboo(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 11:01 AM, Darren Duncan <darren(at)darrenduncan(dot)net>
> wrote:
>
>> As for where all that bloat is going, I took a minute of digging and
>> found something interesting.
>>
>> /Volumes/pgAdmin\ 4/pgAdmin\ 4.app/Contents/Resources/web/p
>> gadmin/static/js/generated/.cache/hard-source
>>
>> This one, single, "invisible" .cache directory in the application bundle
>> is about 300MB by itself, or half of the total .app size.
>>
>> I suspect this is the most egregious thing, assuming that folder only is
>> either needed at development or packaging time or can be generated by
>> PgAdmin at runtime.
>>

> The pgAdmin 4 uses webpack hardSourceWebpackPlugin which caches the
> optimised javascripts in the .cache directory, and those will be used from
> the .cache directory during rebundling of webpack module, so that only the
> changed files will be processed on the next build in the development
> environment, and rest of the files are being picked up from the cached
> directory which makes the rebundling fast. But this is only helpful in the
> development environment, so the patch to fix this already sent to the
> pgadmin-hackers (Patch: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/
> CAFOhELfmrfwqBf9dpYkJJOoKFdLi%2BictCEeBthdxBDNp_mqP-g%40mail.gmail.com).

I'll look at this, but as a sidenote, the basic problem was fixed
in 7192a2b67502b2afbad9e88cd3fc4618e7e64da1 which removes the cache
directory during package builds (if present).

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company