Re: Improve UX of YUM/DNF download form

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Improve UX of YUM/DNF download form
Date: 2020-06-09 10:33:26
Lists: pgsql-www

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 11:25 AM Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 12:11 PM Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>
>> Here's another updated patch:
>>
>> - Don't use an id of "script"
>> - Add a button to the top-right of the script area to copy the contents
>> to the clipboard. Once clicked, the label changes for 3 seconds to indicate
>> to the user that the action occurred.
>>
>> If folks are happy with this, once a consensus is made on the issue of
>> whether to include the client install separately, I'll update if needed and
>> push.
>>

> Sweet, I like it. The one thing I'd like to see improved is that the
> script could be without the comments, making it more clear for the "pasted
> into terminal" results.

Yeah, that might need some minor futzing to deal with, as copying to the
clipboard is handled by selection ranges. Might have to copy the code into
a dummy hidden div, remove the comments, and copy it from there.

> I did notice a pre-existing problem in the Ubuntu/Debian downloads -- it
> doesn't actually contain the step of "apt-get install" when one uses the pg
> apt repo. It probably should, if nothing else then for consistency with the
> RedHat ones. (And they should also do the same wrt installing the client)

Yes, I just spotted that. It's actually a little further down. I'll see
about cleaning that up.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com