Re: Feature #5370 User should be able to set the binary path for each database server

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Akshay Joshi <akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Aditya Toshniwal <aditya(dot)toshniwal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Feature #5370 User should be able to set the binary path for each database server
Date: 2021-05-13 13:33:37
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 11:03 AM Akshay Joshi <akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 3:09 PM Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Akshay,
>>
>> On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 10:35 AM Akshay Joshi <
>> akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Aditya/Hackers
>>>
>>> [image: Screenshot 2021-05-13 at 3.02.59 PM.png]
>>>
>>> Are the above changes looks good?
>>>

>> Well, s/Global/Default, but otherwise that, and the other UI is fine.
>>
>> However, that does mean the path needs to be set for every server (and
>> keep in mind, I know some users of this code have hundreds registered), and
>> it also means that we cannot pre-configure the paths in, for example, our
>> container.
>>

> Yes, if the user wants to set it, else default path in the preferences
> is applicable. Yes, we can't pre-configure the paths.
>

>> I'd prefer to see all the configuration in Preferences, so we'd maybe
>> have a grid instead of a text field, containing three columns, one with the
>> major version number, and one with the path to use for that version. The
>> third column would be a radio button to mark a particular path as the
>> default to use in case another path isn't set.
>>

> OK, we need to create a new control for that which we can add into the
> Preferences. If I understand correctly initially the grid is empty, the
> user will have to add the major version (from the drop-down and that list
> contains values like 'PostgreSQL 10', 'PostgreSQL 11', 'EDB Advanced Server
> 10', .....) and respective path.

No, I would say it should be pre-filled with the supported versions.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a grid though, if you can think of a
better way of presenting it.

Also; we will also need some to migrate and extend this config:

DEFAULT_BINARY_PATHS = {
"pg": "",
"ppas": "",
"gpdb": ""}