Re: Declarative partitioning in pgAdmin4

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Robert Eckhardt <reckhardt(at)pivotal(dot)io>
Cc: Akshay Joshi <akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Shirley Wang <swang(at)pivotal(dot)io>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Declarative partitioning in pgAdmin4
Date: 2017-04-27 15:11:54
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 3:18 PM, Robert Eckhardt <reckhardt(at)pivotal(dot)io>
wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 7:01 AM, Akshay Joshi <
> akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Dave
>>
>> As per discussion I have changed the logic of showing partitioned table
>> in browser tree. Attached is the screenshot.
>> Let me know your thoughts.
>>

> Greenplum has had declarative partitioning for quite some time, I haven't
> spent much time diving into the Postgres implementation specifically,
> however, we have had some pain and I would suggest a little bit of thought
> behind this.
>
> The issues we consistently face:
>
> - The huge (often thousands sometimes tens of thousands) number of
> partitions makes rendering all of the partitions painfully slow and
> frequently not useful.
>
> Perhaps, though I doubt that number would be common in Postgres. The
problem though, is that there are both stats and sub-objects (indexes and
triggers for example) that are part of the child partitions, not the parent
- and they may differ from partition to partition. I don't see that we have
any choice but to display them so users can work with them.

> - When end users are interested in looking at their partitions they
> frequently don't want all of them displayed mindlessly
> - They are looking at a subset of partitions
> - Partitions are typically grouped around their inheritance
> properties.
>
> How might you propose grouping them (based on the way they work in
Postgres)?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com