Re: [patch][pgAdmin] Fix for pgadmin4-linux-qa #1651 failure

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Rahul Shirsat <rahul(dot)shirsat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [patch][pgAdmin] Fix for pgadmin4-linux-qa #1651 failure
Date: 2021-06-29 08:26:07
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 4:38 AM Rahul Shirsat <
rahul(dot)shirsat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> I feel gettext sometimes won't escape the characters as it should be.
>
> I now tried to escape those using some utils.

That won't work either. The string being passed to gettext() *must* be in
the gettext call.

When gettext extracts strings to create/update the catalogs, it will search
the code for all gettext calls, and then extract a string constant from the
first argument. You cannot have variables, function calls or expressions in
there. It *must* be a string constant.

Keep in mind that msgextract is scanning the source code; it's not
executing it. There are many examples in the code, e.g. (from node.js):

title = gettext('Drop %s?', obj.label);

I don't see anything obviously wrong with the existing code. Are you sure
there are no weird unprintable characters in there?