Re: Regarding feature #6367 "DROP DATABASE can now take the option FORCE ..."

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Akshay Joshi <akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Regarding feature #6367 "DROP DATABASE can now take the option FORCE ..."
Date: 2023-06-13 10:19:07
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Tue, 13 Jun 2023 at 11:13, Akshay Joshi <akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 13, 2023 at 2:50 PM Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, 13 Jun 2023 at 09:36, Akshay Joshi <akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Hackers
>>>
>>> I have started the implementation for feature #6367 "DROP DATABASE can
>>> now take the option FORCE to drop a database even if other users are
>>> connected".
>>>
>>> For that, I figure out two places one in the Properties tab of the
>>> Databases collection node and the other in the context menu on the
>>> individual database node except the maintenance database. This feature will
>>> be available from PG 13 and above. Please refer to the screenshot below:
>>>
>>> [image: Properties.png] The 'Drop with Force' button is visible only
>>> on the Databases collection node. For other collection nodes, it is a 'Drop
>>> Cascade'.
>>>

>> Right, because CASCADE means drop dependent objects as well, but FORCE
>> means disconnect connected users first.
>>

>>> [image: Context Menu.png]
>>>
>>> Please review and let me know your thoughts. Is there any place where I
>>> can use this?
>>>

>> I'm not sure what you mean with your last question,
>>
> I mean apart from the Properties tab and Context menu, do I need to
> implement DROP DATABASE...WITH (FORCE)?
>

>> but I think the wording needs some thought. Currently we have:
>>
>> Delete/Drop
>> Drop Cascade
>> Delete/Drop with Force
>>
>> I would suggest:

>> Delete (Cascade)
>> Delete (Force)
>>
>> And we should probably re-order the menu to place those options together
>> (and make sure the confirmation dialogues have appropriately matching text).
>>

> I am not sure why we have used Delete/Drop, but for me, DROP seems
> appropriate as in the backend we used DROP Queries, so can we have
> Drop
> Drop (Cascade)
> Drop (Force)

Because in the past people (I don't recall who) claimed that "Drop" was not
intuitive. I recall arguing that it's the standard SQL terminology, but
iirc we eventually settled on Delete/Drop, which is, frankly, messy.

--
Dave Page
Blog: https://pgsnake.blogspot.com

EDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com