Re: Module-wise Keyboard preferences

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Harshal Dhumal <harshal(dot)dhumal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Module-wise Keyboard preferences
Date: 2018-01-22 11:56:29
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 9:29 AM, Harshal Dhumal <
harshal(dot)dhumal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 4:58 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> To summarise an offline discussion we just had, the intention is to
>> replace the switches with checkboxes for Shift, Control, and Alt/Option,
>> then to try to come up with a set of default shortcuts that work on the
>> major platforms/browsers. Investigation into Javascript's handling of
>> keycodes vs. strings is ongoing to figure out the best way to capture and
>> display the selected keys for non-ASCII locales (String.fromCharCode()).
>>

> I have replaced switches with checkboxes and also showing all controls for
> one preference in single line.
>
> [image: Inline image 2]

I'm still not happy with the way that looks. Wrapping "Alt/Option" looks
horrible - plus it also looks a little odd that labels are closer to the
preceding controls than to the following controls to which they actually
apply.

> Regarding String.fromCharCode() to reverse map keycode to char (actual
> char on keyboard) does not work for all keyboard keys.
>
> For eg. on mac with standard keyboard and with my locale settings I got
> below behaviour.
> For key tilde (~) I got keycode 192 (Unicode value of the pressed keyboard
> key as per docs) and
> when I tried to map 192 (String.fromCharCode(192)) to get actual char, I
> got À <http://www.codetable.net/decimal/192>
>
> So instead of mapping keycode to char for display purposse I'm using char
> which is returned by event object

OK, sounds fine.

Regarding the patch:

- It's missing doc updates
- There's a huge chunk of JS in there. Can that be split up into smaller
chunks and unit tests created for them?

Thanks.

--
Dave Page