Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch] - RM 3009 - Right click to copy from data grid, optionally with headers.

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Akshay Joshi <akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Khushboo Vashi <khushboo(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch] - RM 3009 - Right click to copy from data grid, optionally with headers.
Date: 2019-09-23 15:17:52
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi Akshay,

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 4:10 PM Akshay Joshi <akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 4:58 PM Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 11:03 AM Khushboo Vashi <
>> khushboo(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> this.
>>> So, If I select only 2 rows and also select the option Copy with header,
>>> then should the header be highlighted? I have highlighted in case of entire
>>> grid, with Copy with header option.
>>> @Dave, please suggest.
>>>

>> Yes - highlight what will be copied please.
>>

> I personally think we should not because when user select any row
> Header row gets highlighted automatically if "Copy with headers" is
> checked. Then we will have to make sure if row gets deselected then header
> row should not highlighted.

If we highlight the header row for a selection of all rows, then we should
do the same for a subset (and if it's a subset of columns, highlight only
those that are selected of course).

>>> option before selecting any row, then not possible with the proposed
>>> suggestion.
>>>

>> I agree. No need to disable options that could be toggled at any time.
>>

> Does it make sense when your main action button is disabled and nearby
> drop down is enabled, just because user can toggle them anytime? Anyways
> copy button gets enabled when row(s) will be selected and "Copy with
> headers" comes in affect when we click on Copy button.

Yes. I can change other copy related options in the Preferences panel when
the copy button is disabled. I don't think is this different, except we're
putting it on a menu for convenience.

>>> version, I realised that the documentation is not up-to-date with the
>>> query-tool toolbar. I didn't find the screen-shots of the many tool-bar
>>> dropdown options. So, I would like to involve Abhilasha in this, if
>>> everybody agrees, otherwise I can just change the documentation for my
>>> patch only.
>>>

>> Yes, please ask Abhilasha to help ensure the docs are properly updated.
>>

> Generally updating the documentation is the part of the patch itself
> unless changes are very big. Most of the time we modified the documentation
> and correct whatever is wrong or missing something from the docs.

Yes, but as Khushboo pointed out, we've missed some updates already.
Therefore Abhilasha can help sort that out :-)