Re: Feature #5370 User should be able to set the binary path for each database server

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Akshay Joshi <akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Aditya Toshniwal <aditya(dot)toshniwal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Feature #5370 User should be able to set the binary path for each database server
Date: 2021-05-21 09:16:32
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi Akshay,

On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 10:01 AM Akshay Joshi <akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 1:01 PM Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Akshay,
>>
>> On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 8:03 AM Akshay Joshi <
>> akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Dave/Hackers
>>>
>>> As per your suggestion, I have created a new Backform control
>>> "BinaryPathsGridControl" and two new BackgridCell (BackgridRadioCell and
>>> BackgridSelectFileCell). Please refer to the screenshot below:
>>> [image: Binary_Path.png]
>>>
>>> Are the above changes look good to you? The radio button will only be
>>> enabled when there is a path. Added validate button which will validate the
>>> Utilities (pg_dump, pg_dumpall, ...)
>>>

>> Nice! Just a couple of comments:
>>
>> - I assume the browse button is removed in server mode as discussed?
>> Maybe we should add a config.py option to allow that behaviour to be
>> overridden if the admin doesn't care about sandboxing?
>>

> Yes, will take care that in server mode browse button should not be
> visible. if the config option "ENABLE_FILE_BROWSING" is set to true then
> only the browse button will be enabled in server mode.

I think the name needs to be a little more specific. How about
ENABLE_BINARY_PATH_BROWSING?

>> - I think we need some hint text. How about something like:
>>
>> Enter the directory in which the psql, pg_dump, pg_dumpall, and
>> pg_restore utilities can be found for the corresponding database server
>> version. The default path will be used for server versions that do not have
>> a path specified.
>>

> I have added the hint in two ways, please refer to the screenshots
> below and let me know your prefered one.
> [image: Screenshot 2021-05-21 at 2.16.57 PM.png]. [image:
> Screenshot 2021-05-21 at 2.23.50 PM.png]

I think having the text below is better. It's more consistent with other
controls.

--
Dave Page
Blog: https://pgsnake.blogspot.com