Re: [pgAdmin][RM4348] Theme options in pgAdmin and dark theme

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Aditya Toshniwal <aditya(dot)toshniwal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Akshay Joshi <akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [pgAdmin][RM4348] Theme options in pgAdmin and dark theme
Date: 2019-11-12 09:17:33
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 4:59 AM Aditya Toshniwal <
aditya(dot)toshniwal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Hackers,
>
> Attached is a patch to address the review comments.
>
> On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 9:13 PM Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 3:11 PM Aditya Toshniwal <
>> aditya(dot)toshniwal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Dave,

>>> I'm not sure why you are not able to see it but I've changed it. Try a
>>> python restart.
>>>

>> I've done a make clean/make bundle, restarted Python, and done a hard
>> reload in the browser to no joy. FYI, I'm running in Chrome 78.0.3904.70 on
>> macOS.
>>
> [image: Screenshot 2019-11-12 at 10.03.59.png]
> I'm not seeing it. Pulled latest, bundled and restarted. :/

So I eventually found that I had a rogue Python process running pgAdmin
that somehow got detached from PyCharm. Killed that, restarted, and now it
looks good.

>>> - The tagline on the dashboard logo isn't readable.
>>>>
>>> Yes because that's an SVG image. We may need to make it completely from
>>> HTML.
>>>

>> Can we have an alternate image? Maybe if it's served through a flask
>> route and we look for /logo.png?t=dark or something like that to select the
>> image version?
>>
> Or better embed the SVG so that we can change colors using CSS. Patch
> attached. You can tweak $color-brand to change the welcome dashboards blue
> color.

Looks good.

>>> There is technical limitation here. To change those grid lines based on
>>> theme we need to import variables in JS. I didn't find a way to dynamically
>>> load SASS variables based on theme.
>>> So I chose color which would work for both dark and black backgrounds
>>> and is hard coded in JS.
>>>

>> Urgh, OK. We'll need to think about that then.

>>> I'll check the color, but AFAIR it's not pure white.
>>>

>> OK, thanks!
>>
> I didn't find anyone using white color. Could you please share a
> screenshot ? I've changed the foreground from #ddd to #d4d4d4 to soften a
> bit.

Attached. It may just be that it looks a little sharp because it's a long
line. Maybe we should just make it a darker shade entirely.

[image: Screenshot 2019-11-12 at 09.09.42.png]

BTW, what was the reason for removing the styling from the scroll bars?