Re: When to drop src/tools/msvc support

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: When to drop src/tools/msvc support
Date: 2023-04-11 13:19:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 11 Apr 2023 at 13:52, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:

> On 4/11/23 7:54 AM, Dave Page wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, 11 Apr 2023 at 11:58, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net
> > <mailto:andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>> wrote:
> >
> > For meson you just need to to "pip install meson ninja" in your
> > python distro and you should be good to go (they will be installed
> > in python's Scripts directory). Don't use chocolatey to install
> > meson/ninja - I ran into issues doing that.
> >
> > AFAICT meson will use whatever version of VC you have installed,
> > although I have only been testing with VC2019.
> >
> > OK, that sounds easy enough then (famous last words!)
>
> [RMT hat]
>
> Dave -- does this mean you see a way forward on moving the Windows
> builds over to use Meson instead of MSVC?

I can see a way forward, yes.

> Do you think we'll have enough info by end of this week to make a
> decision on whether we can drop MSVC in v16?

There's no way I can test anything this week - I'm on leave for most of it
and AFK.

But, my point was more that there are almost certainly more projects using
the MSVC build system than the EDB installers; pgAdmin being just one
example.

--
Dave Page
Blog: https://pgsnake.blogspot.com