Re: Enable CI on postgres/postgres github repo?

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-www(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Enable CI on postgres/postgres github repo?
Date: 2022-01-07 14:55:28
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 3:17 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> writes:
> > On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 11:51 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
> wrote:
> >> Now that the CI patch has been merged [1], perhaps it'd make sense to
> >> enable
> >> that on the postgres/postgres mirror on github? See [2] for
> instructions.
>
> > Seems reasonable to me - no cost, and very little effort. I'm happy to
> set
> > it up if noone objects.
>
> I'm kind of down on this actually. Either it will be a waste of cycles
> because no one looks at the reports, or PG hackers will have to learn
> to read and interpret a second source of build failure reports. We have
> a lot of accumulated knowledge about the buildfarm, plus ways to examine
> past failures, none of which would exist here as far as I've gathered
> from experience with the cfbot. (And the cfbot's reports definitely suck
> in usability compared to the farm --- failures often omit critical logs,
> and what there is is crammed into a single badly-formatted web page.)
>
> I guess the bottom line for me is "set it up if you want, but don't
> expect me to pay any attention to it".

OK, well from what I can tell, all the reports are delivered on the Cirrus
or Github sites, so it'll take zero effort to ignore it :-)

I've enabled it for the postgres/postgres repo, so those that are
interested can take a look:

https://cirrus-ci.com/github/postgres/postgres/

There's nothing to see there at the moment; I guess we need a commit to
trigger a build.

--
Dave Page
Blog: https://pgsnake.blogspot.com