Re: Regarding RM #3316 Pgadmin4 No Tray Crash

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Akshay Joshi <akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Regarding RM #3316 Pgadmin4 No Tray Crash
Date: 2018-07-11 14:48:54
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 11:05 AM, Akshay Joshi <
akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Dave
>
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 1:31 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 8:03 AM, Akshay Joshi <
>> akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi

>>> Attached are the screenshot after adding 'Slonik' icon and 'Note'.
>>>

>> Looks good - though please fix the aspect ratio so it doesn't squish the
>> logo. I may tweak the message in review.
>>

> I have tried using "QPixmap", but not able to fix the aspect ratio.
>

>>> Should we allow user to resize the floating window? Definitely not
>>> maximize, because icon gets blurred.
>>>

>> No - but it should be minimisable.
>>

> Fixed. Attached is the working patch. Please review it.

Thanks. Here's an update to the patch which makes the floating window a Qt
Form for ease of maintenance, as well as making a few other tweaks.

I really dislike the 30 second delay that's caused by the attempt to
initialise the tray icon. We need to do something about that; can we start
the splash screen and server before trying to create the icon? That way the
user can be up and running immediately; they just won't see the tray icon
or floating window for a short while.

Thanks.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
RM_3316_v1.patch application/octet-stream 24.1 KB