Re: [pgAdmin4][patch][runtime]: RM#2829, RM#2491 - pgAdmin4 crashes while saving CSV data from Query tool

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Neel Patel <neel(dot)patel(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgAdmin4][patch][runtime]: RM#2829, RM#2491 - pgAdmin4 crashes while saving CSV data from Query tool
Date: 2017-11-17 09:12:12
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 8:45 AM, Neel Patel <neel(dot)patel(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 8:13 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 1:47 PM, Neel Patel <neel(dot)patel(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Adding information.
>>>
>>> With this patch, RM#2715 should also be resolved.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Neel Patel
>>>
>>> On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 7:01 PM, Neel Patel <neel(dot)patel(at)enterprisedb(dot)com

>> My first test was on Mac using Qt 5.8 with webkit, and when I attempted
>> to download the results from a 300K row query, it basically hung showing
>> the Downloading File progress indicator. It let me cancel it and carried on
>> working, but hung again the next time I tried the CSV download. Each time
>> it seems to download some data - from the same query I've seen 2.8MB, 5.1MB
>> and 1.5MB.
>>

> We are using "*downloadProgress*" signal to update the progress bar and
> here we are getting "readData" as bytes but "totalData" is unknown so we
> received "totalData" as -1 because Qt doesn't know the total size of the
> file we are getting from server but when we open "pgAdmin4" website in
> another link and try to download some binary or source at that time we are
> getting "totalData" as known size and we are displaying the progress bar
> correctly.
>
> Here, Qt sending the signal "downloadProgress" with unknown totalData size
> as -1 so we update the progress bar with 100% so from user point of view it
> looks like hang but it is downloading and writing to file at back ground.
> if we apply the same patch in windows then it display running progress bar
> so user can know something happening at back end side.
>
> I think it is same as browser - if we download big size file from server
> then it keep on downloading the file without displaying total size. What
> should we do here ? Should we create one custom progress bar dialog with
> moving cursor or something other so that user can know that activity is
> doing at backend ? Thoughts ?

It is misleading, but it *is* also hanging. 10+ minutes to download a few
megs of data from a server on the same machine is not just a misleading
progress indicator :-)

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com