Re: PG 15 downloads

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-release(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Christoph Berg <cb(at)df7cb(dot)de>, Sandeep Thakkar <sandeep(dot)thakkar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Jonathan Katz <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 15 downloads
Date: 2022-10-17 08:29:44
Lists: pgsql-www

On Thu, 13 Oct 2022 at 21:33, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I saw the following comment https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=33194755
> > Just some feedback for releases of any software: I think apt sources and
> > repositories should be ready to go on launch and PR-release so people
> can
> > immediately use the new version. Looks like that's going to take 2-3
> > days. Sources are available but that's not something most people want to
> > delve in with make files and dependencies. Something like postgres is
> > huge. Right now, if you go to downloads and expect postgresql-15
> available,
> > it is not; lot of people on IRC and elsewhere on Twitter are confused
> where
> > to download postgresql-15. I know that takes time, so the PR release
> should
> > just be delayed until apt sources are ready. May be also docker
> > repositories.
>
> Some of these are actually ready, our website does make it look like that's
> not the case.
>
> The pages for the EDB installers
> https://www.postgresql.org/download/macosx/
> https://www.postgresql.org/download/windows/
> only list versions up to 14, but the downloads are actually available on
> the
> EDB page.

Hmm, somehow we always forget to update those pages. I think in part it's
because there's currently no check/confirmation that packages are ready
before the release is pushed to the website (largely for historical
reasons); everyone just works to get their part done by 2PM UK time. Couple
that with the fact that none of the team within EDB who work on the
installers have any knowledge of the PostgreSQL website code (bar me, but
I'm not involved in the day to day work these days).

A couple of possible solutions that spring to mind:

1) Jonathan (or whoever is handling the release process) could ensure those
pages are updated as part of the release push, but that would require
confirmation from Sandeep or someone on the EDB team that the packages have
been published and everything looks good.

2) We could database-ise the data in those tables, and then Sandeep could
update that through the Django admin interface at the appropriate time. He
does have access to a limited part of the admin interface already.

In any case, I've fixed the pages now.

Thanks.

--
Dave Page