Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: Improvise the treeview element selection

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Surinder Kumar <surinder(dot)kumar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Shirley Wang <swang(at)pivotal(dot)io>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: Improvise the treeview element selection
Date: 2017-07-24 10:35:01
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 10:30 AM, Surinder Kumar <
surinder(dot)kumar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 1:24 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 8:51 AM, Shirley Wang <swang(at)pivotal(dot)io> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Surinder,
>>>
>>> This change seems to be different from the other patterns for selected /
>>> highlighted options. Is there a reason why this needs to be more visible
>>> than it already is? In terms of feedback on the tree, we have not heard any
>>> pains from users that this is not visible enough.
>>>
>> ​I agree it is visible enough but only with tree with 8 to 10 levels. If
> we think broader considering the case where function node may contain
> thousands of functions and then scrolling to previously selected function
> will become tougher.
>
> Also, If we implement search by typing on selected node in future as in
> pgAdmin3, the selected node will be highlighted but finding selected node
> among other nodes will be painful due to lighter blue background..
>

>> Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. What's your motivation for this change? I've
>> also never heard of any complaints about this.
>>
> ​Two reasons:
>
> 1. If i select a function having long name from a list of 150
> functions and then switch to query tool and then again i look for selected
> function, being light blue background it gets difficult to find selected
> function among 150 functions.
>
> If background would be dark blue, it is easier to spot.
>
> 2. I liked the node selection in pgAdmin3 where selected node is
> highlighted with dark blue background. In pgAdmin4, only label of selected
> node is highlighted with light blue.
>
> If this patch seems unreasonable, please ignore the patch.

I don't think anyone is saying it's unreasonable, just whether it's needed.
I just tried it out and I can see how it makes the selected item more
visible, but it's also a lot less aesthetically pleasing, so I would
definitely want to see some real-world users making a solid case for it
before making such a change. Here's a more complete screenshot.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
Screen Shot 2017-07-24 at 11.34.47.png image/png 213.9 KB