Re: Explain details popover changes proposal

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Aditya Toshniwal <aditya(dot)toshniwal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Explain details popover changes proposal
Date: 2021-01-08 11:00:04
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 10:46 AM Aditya Toshniwal <
aditya(dot)toshniwal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 2:53 PM Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 9:17 AM Ashesh Vashi <
>> ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

>>> Yes.

>>> We have put details in the title attribute, hence - it should be visible
>>> as cluttered text on hover. (Assumption - I have not tried).
>>>

>> OK, well it seems reasonable to continue to do that for all nodes.
>> However, maybe we should also render any popups that are open at time of
>> download - that way, printing or converting to a raster format will still
>> display those popups.
>>
> With the new changes, the SVG tooltip will be removed completely. The new
> pop up is HTML based and floats above the diagram. I mean, if you zoom
> in/out the plan, it does not affect the popup.
> I'm thinking to append all the tables to the download SVG and add click
> events on the nodes which will scroll to that table. This is just a
> thought, not sure if it will work. But that would be a separate task.

We certainly shouldn't remove functionality that works now, without
replacing it with something at least as good.

I think this is relatively low priority though - can't we just fix the
basic problem, or is that caused by the SVG tooltips, whose location is out
of our control?