Re: PassFile in docker compose?

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Zoltan Albert <znalbert(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgadmin-support lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PassFile in docker compose?
Date: 2020-07-23 08:59:18
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 12:57 AM Zoltan Albert <znalbert(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I'm trying to use docker compose to spin up postgres and pgAdmin services,
> and the only sticking point is a minor one: I can't seem to get the
> PassFile to work.
>
> I wonder if it's not possible because of the following note at the bottom
> this page of the pgAdmin docs
> https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/4.23/server_dialog.html:
>
> ```
>
> Note
>
> The password file option is only supported when pgAdmin is using libpq
> v10.0 or later to connect to the server.
> ```

That won't be an issue if you're using dpage/pgadmin4 (or any of the
installers/packages built by the pgAdmin team).

My guess would be that you've not got the permissions or ownership of the
pgpassfile correct so libpq is just ignoring it. It needs to be mode 0600
and owned by 5050:5050.

I have no idea how you make that happen in Docker Compose though.

> Tried:
> - stackoverflowing
> - most promising google result:
> https://javaoraclesoa.blogspot.com/2020/01/pgadmin-in-docker-provisioning.html
>
> Nothing seemed to work. Am I missing something? Or is it really just not
> possible?
>
> Thanks!

Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com