Re: EPEL and PowerTools to instructions

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Devrim Gündüz <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: EPEL and PowerTools to instructions
Date: 2020-11-04 09:12:27
Lists: pgsql-www

Hi

On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 8:45 PM Devrim Gündüz <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> [Adding Dave]
>
> On Tue, 2020-11-03 at 11:05 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > For a number of packages in the PostgreSQL yum repository, one needs
> > to enable EPEL to make them work, and sometimes also PowerTools.
>
> Right, PostGIS needs PowerTools on RHEL 8.
>
> > This information is currently only available as archived news on
> > the yum website, AFAICT.
> >
> > We should somehow work this into the download instructions I think.
>
> EDB recently did similar work here:
>
> https://repos.enterprisedb.com/
>
> Dave, any chance we can do something like this for the community repo
> as well?

It's certainly possible, but it's not a trivial amount of work (and the
edb-repos code couldn't really be reused in the community site, even if I
got permission to do so). Also bear in mind that repos.enterprisedb.com was
written to support products like PEM which have additional
post-installation setup requirements, which is probably not the case for
most things on yum.postgresql.org.

My suggestion would be to add the EPEL/PowerTools repos as optional steps
in what we have now, with a note in the instructions explaining when they
might be needed.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com