Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch] - RM 4048 - Disable auto-fill on all dialogues

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Khushboo Vashi <khushboo(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch] - RM 4048 - Disable auto-fill on all dialogues
Date: 2019-04-02 15:55:07
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 4:00 PM Khushboo Vashi <
khushboo(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 8:22 PM Khushboo Vashi <
> khushboo(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 8:00 PM Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi

>>> I guess the additions in server.js were for testing? Many of those
>>> fields didn't make sense to have autocomplete enabled, and some were
>>> specifically the ones that were annoying me.
>>>
>>> This is not for testing, as per the RM, disable the autocomplete for
>> all the dialogues except server dialogue and Login page.
>>
>>> That said... this doesn't actually work for me in Chrome. A little
>>> investigation reveals this is a common annoyance. Some versions ignore
>>> autocomplete="off" but will accept autocomplete="nope" (or some other
>>> random string), whilst versions such as the one I'm running right now (72.0.3626.121
>>> on macOS) ignore both. Apparently, that's sort of how it's supposed to
>>> work:
>>> https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/form-control-infrastructure.html#autofill
>>>
>>> After some experimentation, the one thing that worked for me (except on
>>> the password field of the server dialog, which I can live with) was setting
>>> it to "new-password".
>>>
>>> I've attached an updated patch. Can you take a look and try it out on
>>> the browsers you have please?
>>>

>> I will check.
>>
> It didn't work for me. Please see the attached screen-shot.
> Tested on Chrome Version 73.0.3683.86 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Sigh. I think there are actually two issues here:

- Auto-complete (which you see)
- Auto-fill (which I see)

The former being the list of possible options being presented (I only see
that for the password), and the latter being the control pre-filled with a
value, and coloured to indicate that.

I wonder if both need to be handled in different ways?

FWIW, it's the auto-fill that's really annoying for me, as that requires me
to change a value rather than just ignoring a suggestion.