Re: pgAdmin Saved Password Security

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Michel Feinstein <michelfeinstein(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgadmin-support lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin Saved Password Security
Date: 2019-04-17 08:05:43
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 7:20 AM Michel Feinstein <michelfeinstein(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to pgAdmin and PostgreSQL. I am configuring a new server
> connection and I can see there's an option to save my server's password.
>
> How secure is this option? Does it save my password as plaintext or does
> it save inside Windows protection or other form of encryption?

It uses AES encryption in CFB8 mode provided by the Python encryption
module. The data is then base64 encoded and stored in the SQLite
configuration database that holds user settings.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company