Re: [patch] Style updates

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Shirley Wang <swang(at)pivotal(dot)io>
Cc: Atira Odhner <aodhner(at)pivotal(dot)io>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Matthew Kleiman <mkleiman(at)pivotal(dot)io>, Sarah McAlear <smcalear(at)pivotal(dot)io>
Subject: Re: [patch] Style updates
Date: 2017-04-07 15:53:15
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 4:08 PM, Shirley Wang <swang(at)pivotal(dot)io> wrote:

> Hello
>
> On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 6:04 AM Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> This introduces a number of display issues for me:
>>
>> - There are now gaps between the tabs and their content panels. See
>> screenshot 1.
>>

> Yes, that gap will be gone once we style the table. Mind if that's split
> up? Just wanted to focus on the top half of query editor with this patch.

No, we need to do it all at once - I may need to cut releases at any time.

>> - The tabs on the higher-level panels no longer match the styling of the
>> tabs on dialogues, which still follow the original style.
>>

> Do you mean they're different color wise? Would you prefer high-level
> panels to match all dialogs (whether they're from menu options or detached
> tabs)?

The lower level ones still have the old styling. I think they should all
match.

> ie. something like this? (please ignore the giant SQL text)

Potentially :-)

> [image: tabs-popout.png]
>

>> - The font in detached/floating tabs is hard to read as I think it's too
>> bold. We have similar outstanding problems in a couple of other places,
>> mostly the dashboards and the subnode control headers.
>>

> Yes, agreed. We can change the boldness of detatched tabs to match the
> weight of high level panel. I'll put font weight changes for dashboard and
> subnode control headers in our list of css updates to make.
>

>> - I think the white outline for detached/floating tabs is too harsh.
>> Maybe make it a very light gray?
>>

> Ok, I'm going to play around with contrast a bit more.
>

>> - I think the softened contrast in the query tool makes it much harder to
>> visually distinguish different parts of the display. See ss2 for example -
>> the info bar, codemirror gutter, codemirror text area and button bar all
>> blend together now (yet, with the column selection patch you've gone
>> perhaps too far the other way by making the row selector column in the grid
>> dark blue to match the column headers).
>>

> Ah, yes, it seems like when you open a query from 'View ... rows" right
> click menu, the text editor is gray. That should be white - will fix this.

No - it's intentionally gray to indicate that the query is read-only. I
think the info bar needs to not be gray if anything, to break up the view.

>> - There's also a visible gap between the top of codemirror and the bottom
>> of the info bar.
>>

> I think the gap is from borders around the buttons being close to border
> of the bar. Removing the border around buttons seems to address the gap
> (see screenshot above). Some of the spacing between buttons needs to be
> adjusted, but what do you think?

It's the gap at the top of the codemirror gutter, below the info bar that
I'm complaining about - in the screen shot above it looks better, but I
think there's still a pixel or two there.

Thanks!

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com